Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Postcard from Croatia

Hey you -

You must be on horseback somewhere right about now. Me? I'm on an island in Croatia with T. Vacation!

We took a plane to Venise and were greeted by huge, beautiful thunderstorms in the sky. While I was excitedly contemplating the storms on the horizon, the ipod gods put Antony's "My Lady Story" on. I praised them.

The shading in a Bellini Madonna in a church we hurriedly strolled through made me feel like we'd arrived in Venice. We had a long morning running up and down bridges without really getting lost. Lovely.

I reread James's "Aspern Papers." I love James.

Before leaving, I said I was ready to be horizontal. Totally exhausted from work. Everybody around me said it would take time to settle down. They were wrong. The only problem our first morning was that we didn't have toilet paper in the apartment we're renting. That provoked, somehow, a huge storm between T and me. You know how it goes. Since then we've basically been horizontal. The tricky thing here is actually to go from horizontal to vertical and vice versa. The beaches are all on rocks, some more slantwise than others. Standing up, I sometimes get dizzy and feel like I might just bounce down the rock out into the Adriatic. Which sea is delightfully warm and refreshing.

We didn't know it, but our little one bedroom up on the hill has a mezzanine. So B could have come after all.

We found the nudist beaches. They're lined with pine forests so you can go give your skin a break in the cool cool shade. The Adriatic was actually in turmoil yesterday. No sliding into the sea unless you were ready to be spit back out and raked across the rocks. Until we found the sandy beach that T's colleague's daughter told us about. Placid. Small. Like, maybe 15 of us on it. Enough in a cove for the sea to be quiet. While we were drying off in the late afternoon sun, we heard bleating behind us. Billy goats! Just saying hi to us all before going off to graze.

A little like me to you. Baahaahaaa. And lots of love.

xxoo s

No comments: